WHAT IS TEETH WHITENING?
Teeth whitening is a process by which your dentist removes the stains from your teeth. It also helps in restoring the natural color of teeth.
Teeth Whitening is the most common dental procedure and is often opted for by patients who have yellowish teeth or discolored teeth.
COMMON REASONS OF TEETH DISCOLORATION?
Tooth discoloration may appear as teeth looking yellowish or having white or black spots on the teeth. Patients also present tooth discoloration at the point where teeth meet the roots which starts to appear brownish.
Common reasons for Teeth Discoloration include:
- Drinking too much caffeine
- Consuming some particular food items or drinks that cause discoloration
- Age-related: Tooth discoloration may happen as we age
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- Antibiotics: Some medications cause discoloration in the teeth
- Poor Dental Hygiene: No brushing well or regularly
- Trauma: Any accident that causes trauma on the teeth may live it greyish black
WHAT IT DOES TO YOUR TEETH?
You need to book a consult with your dentist to understand if you are a suitable candidate for Teeth Whitening.
Your Dentist will examine your teeth and understand the cause of teeth discoloration, before suggesting you teeth whitening.
If you are fit for this process, you will undergo the below mentioned:
- A Lip retractor will be placed on your mouth so that the lips do not come in the way of teeth whitening and there is a complete exposure of teeth.
- The gel will be applied to your teeth followed by high-powered light to make them harder. This process is called is Gingival Barrier, it protects your gums from bleaching chemicals.
- A compound is then applied to the teeth, to protect them from tooth sensitivity.
- A teeth-whitening gel is then applied along with high-powered light to enhance whitening.
- Some patients may experience tooth sensitivity, which may go away in one or two days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
1. How long does the process take?
The process takes about 45 minutes. Although your consultation with the dentist on explaining the process and expected results from teeth whitening may take another 15 minutes.
It will take 1-hour maximum for the complete process.
2. When will I see the results?
Your teeth will be a few shades lighter as briefed by your dentist immediately after the treatment.
3. Is This process painful?
You may experience slight discomfort during the process, however, this treatment does not involve any kind of pain.
4. How long does the results of this last?
Teeth Whitening may last for a year or more. This also depends on your dietary habits.
5. Will it damage my teeth?
Not if you get it done by a highly experienced team of dental experts. It will not cause any short-term or long-term implications.
6. Is it possible to whiten a dead tooth?
It is not possible to whiten a tooth that is dead.
7. Are at-home teeth whitening kits effective?
At-home kits have their own limitations. They can remove some stains and discoloration.
Dental issues can negatively impact your self-esteem, general health, and quality of life. Contact us at Focus Dental whenever you observe symptoms of any dental issues.