Have you been experiencing constant pain and discomfort in your oral cavity? The chances are that you have an infected root canal and may need a root canal treatment. It is a popular dental procedure that is done to treat an infected root canal and prevent further damage to the tooth.
If you are planning to undergo this treatment and need a better idea about the procedure, cost, recovery, and the other details, scroll down.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is a Root Canal Treatment (RCT)?
- When Should You Go for a Root Canal Treatment?
- How is it Done?
- Benefits of Root Canal Tratment
- Recovery after Root Canal Treatment
- Cost of Root Canal Treatment in Delhi NCR
Visit Focus Dental in our locations in Naraina Vihar, Max Hospital, Saket and Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, for additional information on selecting the best dentist. To schedule an appointment, give 8929265020 a call today.
What is a Root Canal Treatment (RCT)?
Root canal therapy or treatment is a standard dental procedure, done by a dentist or an endodontist to treat an infected root canal. The treatment is predominantly done to prevent further reinfection of the tooth, restore the function as well as the natural aesthetics of your affected tooth.
The procedure includes the elimination of the infected pulp of the root canal, followed by consistent washing, disinfection, and filling of the treated portion of the tooth.
There are two types of RCT procedures:
Single Visit Root Canal Treatment – In this procedure, the dentist completes the root canal therapy in a single visit of the patient using non-surgical, chemomechanical procedures.
Laser Root Canal Treatment – this procedure uses laser radiation to kill the bacteria, causing infection and disinfects the root canal to prevent further deterioration
Why does the tooth pulp need to be removed?
With the gradual increase in the rate of infection in the root canal, it will start to decay more and infect the adjoining teeth and the surrounding gums. Removal and disinfection of the tooth pulp will help prevent that from happening.
When Should You Go for a Root Canal Treatment?
Now that you know what a root canal treatment is, the next thing you need to visit your dentist. When is the right time to undergo this procedure?
Well, if you are experiencing any of the below-mentioned issues with your teeth, it is better to consult a dentist immediately.
- persistent tooth or teeth pain
- a sudden sensitivity to cold or hot food items
- sudden tooth discolouration
- swollen and painful gums
- pain while chewing or biting into food
- a chipped or cracked tooth
- If your infected tooth is moving when you touch it
How is it Done?
The Root Canal Treatment can either be done on the same day as the dentist’s appointment or at a later date following consultation.
Here is the root canal procedure step by step:
Before the treatment
- The dentist suggests getting an X-Ray or CT Scan done to check the status and spread of the infection.
- If the treatment is done as a Single Visit RCT, the procedure will be done immediately after the consultation.
During the treatment
- The dentist starts by applying a numbing gel or local anesthesia around the infected tooth.
- Following that, a rubber sheet is placed around the infected tooth to keep the area dry.
- After that, the dentist drills into the tooth for better access to remove the pulp, bacteria, and the decayed nerve tissue in the infected tooth.
- Once the cleansing is done, the sealing process is carried out either immediately or after a week, depending on the condition of the infection.
- For the filling, a sealer paste or rubber component called gutta-percha is placed into the root canal.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
Contrary to popular beliefs, root canal treatment is pretty painless and doesn’t cost a lot of money too. There are several clinical reasons why you need this treatment immediately to prevent further deterioration of the teeth.
Here are a few benefits of the root canal treatment:
- It gets rid of the infection in the tooth pulp and prevents reinfection.
- It is a pain-free procedure because of modern techniques and technologies.
- The procedure is effortless and efficient.
- It enhances the appearance of the oral cavity and the patient’s smile.
Recovery after Root Canal Treatment
The recovery after the root canal procedure is quite subjective. Some patients may experience mild pain and discomfort for a few days after the treatment; it is temporary and gets better within the first week.
The doctors also suggest several precautions that you need to take after the treatment, including:
- Avoid eating anything for the next 2 hours
- Avoid eating hard foods for the next 2-3 days
- Do not eat from the affected side for a few days
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing everyday
- Consuming the prescribed medications
- Maintaining enhanced oral health
Factors affecting the recovery:
Apart from the success rate, there are a few more factors that affect the recovery timeline of the patients. Some of the common factors that affect the recovery process include:
- The success rate of the procedure
- The severity of the condition
- Endodontist you are getting the procedure done from
- Immunity against the infection
- Pain tolerance
- The overall health of the patient
At Focus Dental, you are assured of the best treatment with instructions and precautions needed during the recovery.
Cost of Root Canal Treatment in Delhi NCR
The root canal treatment cost in India ranges between INR 6,000 to INR 10,000 and can be more depending on the clinic or the dentist you are getting the treatment from.
Additionally, the treatment could cost more if there are multiple infected root canals and requires more filling and disinfection.
Factors affecting the cost:
- The severity of the damage in the root canal
- Location of the infected tooth
- Testing, imaging, and consultation charges
- Experience and specialty of the endodontist
At Focus Dental, you get the best treatment at affordable prices.
Root canal treatment is not something you should delay, especially if the pain and inflammation have been bothering you for long. Not only is it inexpensive, but it is also extremely effective in preventing reinfection of the adjoining teeth. If you are planning on undergoing the treatment, it is better that you consult the best endodontist and clinic around you.